Friday, October 23, 2015

Walking the Walk

Being acrophobic, I do not fancy "The Walk" across the Twin Towers on air in my bucket list ever. But I have to hand it to the brave "walker" for all the preparation he made for that feat. He studied wind patterns and other factors. "Many times, I climbed up, disguising as an architect or contruction worker. I climbed to the roof unchallenged. I looked down to get myself used to the height. I listened with all my senses to the murmur of the city, the sirens and the noise. I looked at the lights and really got to know the buildings and much more. I called it my spy work. Eight months in New York to get to know the towers like my family. So if you were following me in all that, you would realize that there was actually no fear in the end. There was no anxiety, not something that I cultivate very much. If you see me before a meeting or an action, if you see me gathering my thoughts, you cannot approach me and say, 'Are you nervous? Are you fearful?'Because if you know me, you would know that I am preparing myself. That is concentration,to try again as a perfectionist to do the best job as possible." Mediators prepare by going through the files of the dispute, if these are available as in court-annexed mediation or the private law office. It is like doctors going over their patients' medical history. If these are not available, like with walk-in clients, mediation starts with orienting both disputants on the ground rules of the procedure so everyone knows what to expect or how to behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment